Question
Posted by: sarts | 2004/11/09

Chipping

I am a 12 handicap and have recently lost confidence with my chipping resulting in either hitting fat / chunk chips or sculling them
Please help !!

Expert ImageArchive

Hi, you can look at the following website - http://www.golfauction.co.za/general/tips/index.htm and look at the different chipping tips

Golf Expert

The following will also help :

* Trying to scoop or lift the golf ball leads to poor distance.
* Try using a descending blow on all chip shots.
* Place the ball in middle or back of your stance. This will result in the club head striking the ball before it strikes the ground.
* Standing with your weight shifted on your left foot and keeping it there throughout your swing makes it much easier to hit down on the ball.
* A chip is merely a putt that travels in the air for part of the distance.
* The basics of chipping and putting are the same. Use a pendulum motion.
* Concentrate on consistent acceleration on the downswing.
* Try keeping your chip shots close to the ground and air born as little a time possible.
* Keep your chip swing smooth and easy, let your swing length determine the distance for you.
* Make sure you lock your wrists and arms. Have them move together as one rotating only at the shoulders.
* Less moving parts means more reliability.