Question
Posted by: j-j | 2004/10/19

chip in knee

I was in a car accident 2 years ago!

a recuring knee pain developed every 4 to 6 months!

took xrays dockter x said i needed an op to remove a little bone on the knee cap, as soon as i got active this little chip would make a pain on the knee cap! usally 2-3 days rest and it would be fine!
The last time it happened was 3 months ago, went to doc x gave voltaren injection and sed i must rest! 4 days later swollen and red went to doc y he withdrew some white liquid from the knee cap and blood and sent it away! Got back to me on the result of the blood test and sed if got ghout!
What exercises can i do to strengthen the knee( 1 game of squash and the pain is back but tennis and golf is fine) should i have it removed???

HI JJ

I think that a second opinion is very important. It always in when surgery is advised. In your particular case, I'm not sure what the alternatives are. Usually, I would recommend a conservative approach to any injury. However, if you have had an accident and now been diagnosed with gout, then it becomes a medical problem, and not the 'straightforward' overuse injury that I am accustomed to hearing about. It's hard to give exercise, because honestly I don't know of any if it's an acute injury. Therefore, it may really be that surgery is the only option for you at this stage, but I would check it with a second doctor, and make sure it's a specialist doctor since they know more about the developments - surgery is a rapidly expanding field and so what was a 50-50 procedure even 3 years ago is now a 80-20 one and so you need all the facts at your disposal to choose. Good luck

1
Posted by: NM | 2004/10/19

Lunges and squats

I had an athroscopy done - to remove cartilage- about 3 years ago and it didn't help AT ALL...complete waste of money. Get a second opinion...

Reply to NM