Question
Posted by: JhbW | 2004/09/27

Chin augmentation

I'm interested in getting a chin implant (of a bone grapht) as i am rather 'chinless' and thus have a horrible profile. 1)Does this involve any major risks other than those involved with general anaesthetic. Secondly i am having my wisdom teeth removed on advice from two dentists and it has to be done by a maxilla facial surgeon, 2)can he do the chin at the same time? 3) Is he the correct person for such an operation (chin augmentation) and 4)what would be the cost of a chin augmentation (ballpark figure please, it obviously varies amongst practioners). 5)Lastly how long would i have to be away from work?(max)

Thanks for your help and this great forum.
JhbW

Expert ImageArchive

Dear JhbW,

Unfortunately I cannot give you any satisfactory answers, as you need to be clinically examined to determine whether the chin implant would be the correct option. Depending on the cause of your problem, different options might be available to you. In this kind of situation, we prefer to have a specialist team attending to you, which will include a plastic surgeon and a maxilla facial surgeon, as the one would focus on the cosmetic result and the other on the functional result.