Question
Posted by: steph | 2007/04/05

Chill, do you know about D.A.P.? Anyone?

DAP dog appeasing pheromone- supposed to calm dogs down because it gives them the feeling of their mom! Well, as I am my dog's mom (I got him at 6 weeks) I thought my own pheromones would work better. Anyway, his past is not known and for some reason he is often very nervous of various sounds, etc., when not really close to me. If this thing works I will get it, but I need someone to tell me "yes, this works, it is not just a gimmick". I did a search on the net and it doesn't seem that reliable, for something so expensive.

Have you tried the DAP yet?

2
Posted by: Lin | 2007/04/06

I bought a DAP when we moved house. I put my dogs in the outside room at night with the DAP plugged in. It worked! It calmed them down alot and they didnt seem as nervous the next day as the previous time we moved house. It is a bit expensive, but I found it very useful. I only switch it on now when there's a storm outside with heavy thunder or people firing firecrackers outside.

Reply to Lin
Posted by: Chill | 2007/04/05

I have no experience with DAP - the vet seems to set store by it, so I guess there must be something in it.

I've always resolved behavioural problems by trying to understand them, and deal with them that way.

Perhaps you should have a chat to a behaviourist.

Anyway - what do you mean, his past is not known? At 6 weeks, he doesn't HAVE a past... at least, not one that should affect him so profoundly.

I strongly suspect that you're paying the dog too much attention, and not giving him enough space to 'be his own dog'. If they never get a chance to experience things for themselves, and deal with them, then they don't know they can - and if you always step into the breach, they'll never find out. In effect, you're rewarding nervous behaviour by offering comfort. This is exactly the kind of thing a good behaviourist will help you address.

Reply to Chill