Question
Posted by: WR | 2007/05/23

Chill, any one...

Hi there,

Yeap, the ear thing...!

You know anything about the 'boereraat'; Cleaning a dogs' ear(s) with white-vinegar. Apparantly it neutralises the ph in the ear(s) if they have a yeast infection.
The Vet is 'gatvol' of me (and the dogs' ears) - haha, and I'm still cleaning regularly, still using Surolan, Otomax, Epi-Otic, and Oto-Clear AWA the treatment you gave me a few months ago.
Your opinion on the vinegar thing please. It makes sense to me, and I have seen it recommended on various sites, together with using a drop or 2 of regular sunflower seed oil to clean the ears. Apparantly the oil collects any debris etc, and then gets shaken out.

Ciao!

Vinegar is very acidic and not good for the ears. The formulations available from your vey have been researched and found to be effective so please stick with them. The dog may need the ears flushed under GA.

5
Posted by: Joni | 2007/05/23

Hi WR

We had a discussion about this on the Dane Board months ago (discussing -|- er Spaniels), someone recommended Colloidal Silver (can be bought at CatBox Pet Hyper), a couple of drops twice a day. Apparently it works like a bomb and can be used once a month after the infection has cleared it up!

Not sure if we get this in SA, but they use a lot of Tresaderm and Oti-Soothe II to clear & clean the ears. If they're really really bad their Vets prescribe 20 mg of Prednisone, 200mg of Ketoconazole, and a small squirt of Clotrimazole.

Shame poor boy, hope this advice helps. Not sure about the Vinegar though!

Joni

Reply to Joni
Posted by: WR | 2007/05/23

Well, the last 10(000...) times I've been to the Vet he prescribed the anti-fungals (Both Otomax & Surolan are anti-fungals) after doing some tests. It is not ear-mites. It is the 'classic' brown-waxy stuff blah blah blah.
Just wish there was some Magic Cure that took care of this forever. Just funny that just the male gets it - the female goes wherever, and does whatever the male does, but she has never had it. She actually swims more than he does, cos I keep him out of the water because of the ear-thing..! Must be a typical "male-pretending-to-be-sick" - hie hie!

Anyway, I'll be waiting for your post! Thanx!

Reply to WR
Posted by: Chill | 2007/05/23

Oops, pressed the wrong button, didn't mean to be quite so terse.

My vet years ago gave me some ear drops for my Shepherds which he doctored by adding a few bits of stuff of his own - I can't remember what it was, but it worked like a bomb. I'll take a look through my old dog papers tomorrow and see if I can find an old account, and check if it says on there. If I find it, I'll post back tomorrow evening.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Chill | 2007/05/23

I dunno - are you sure it's a yeast infection?

I don't suppose it can do much harm to try it

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Carol | 2007/05/23

Hmmm requires research methinks.... mine also get gummy ears from swimming in the river ...

Reply to Carol