Posted by: Smiley | 2011/05/26

Childrens Act

I have a 14 year old daughter whom I have not seen in almost a year. Her father has succeeded in alienating her from my totally. She refuses to see me or even answer the phone when I try to call her. I have had so many people tell me to take this legal, but how can I when it is she herself who refuses? Yes, her father is behind the alienation, but is there anything I can do given the fact that she has on numerous occassions states she does not wish to see me?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageFamily law expert

I would suggest that you consult a family law attorney. The child will have to be assessed before you even opt to enter into mediation.

Bertus Preller
B.Proc; AD Dip L Law
Family Law Attorney
Abrahams and Gross Inc.
A:1st Floor, 56 Shortmarket Street, Cape Town, 8000
O: +27 (0) 21 422 1323

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Romany | 2011/05/31

The question here is - " Why does this daughter not want to see you" ?
If you have disappointed, hurt, or done anything to her, it is justified and needs to be approached in a different manner.

Reply to Romany
Posted by: FIO | 2011/05/27

You cant force your daughter to want to see you.

However, if you can prove there has been parental alienation then you need to take it up with the father. Its a hard one because you need to understand why your daughter does not want to see you, and need to be able to show that father is responsible. What has he done to alienate you that you can prove or demonstrate?

You can invite him for counselling or mediation to try resolve this, but again it''ll depend on what your current agreement is with regards to parenting responsibilities and rights. There should be a parenting plan in place, and if not then you can go to the chidlrens court and request an order for you guys to mediate a parenting plan, and even get Family Advocate involved. They can do an investigation to find out what is going on and why, and from there solutions can be found.

But you cannot force your daughter to see you if she doesn''t. She must have her reasons, and this you also need ot find out through counselling and assessments.

Reply to FIO

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.