Posted by: Anna | 2009/05/26


My sister is a mother of a ten-year-old. Should she explain her condition to her son? If so, how should she go about it?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageArchive

I think it is very important that your sister talk to her son and explain what she is suffering on his level of understanding. She can find some information about bi-polar from the internet or maybe her doctor explained it to her or she can get some info from SADAG (S A Depression and Anxiety Group). Basically it boils down that she tells her son she is suffering from a mood disorder which means that her emotional regulation ability (or that part of her brain) is not working properly. She then could describes her own mood swings and they can then work out a plan together as to how she can warn him if she is up or down and what he can do to cope with the situation.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.