Question
Posted by: lol | 2008/05/26

children

My baby is now 9 months old and he is starting to explore and touches everything, and pulls out the plugs and opens doors and presses buttons and so on. I don't want him to do that at other peoples homes. I've started to sound very angry and say out load: NO! Leave that, NO! But with no luck. I started hitting his hand, but it looks like he doesn't feel anything. I gave him a hiding on his nappy - no luck. How do you start with discipline? I want him to know that NO is NO! I don't want to be one of those mothers that can't go out to dinner at night because the child doesn't want to do as you say and sit still. And I don't want to be one of those moms's that goes to a shop and you have to shout a million times: with no luck! Can you please help me?

Kids can be rather logical to a point, and, inconveniently, won't understand why some behaviour is OK at home ( and you think it's cute, and laygh encouragingly ) and yet gets forbidden when he's somewhere else. As Maria says, it's his job, his task, to be curious at that age, and ours to keep him safe by encouraging him not to eplore riskily. But better reduce some types of exploratory behaviour at home, too. Unless one has protectors on plug holes ( and even if you do, other homes wont ) exploring plugs can be dangerous. And tugging can pull things over on him.
See what the parenting forum can suggest. generally, it comes down to distraction and redirection. And babysitters were invented so you can go out to dinner without bringing the great Explorer with you

2
Posted by: Maria | 2008/05/26

Heehee lol, welcome to parenthood. Part of being mother to a small child involves constantly steering them away from danger and distracting them, especially at other people's houses. Saying no and smacking the hand is good, but only as a last resort. Remember it's his job to be curious about his world. I suggest you also post on the parenting forum.

Reply to Maria
Posted by: almost mad | 2008/05/26

in think your baby is too small to understand hitting. besides its not a good way to enforce dicipline. he is still very young, you should get some books on different forms of diciplining your baby, and try something that he will respond to. he isnt at the age where he can properly reason. he is discovering new things, dont try to instill fear in him.

Reply to almost mad