Question
Posted by: HURT SOUL | 2006/11/10

CHILDHOOD ABUSE

I wanted to know if there are any medication to erase some of my childhood memory. I was sexual assaulted growing up by my uncle and my cousin. Those childhood event come back as flashes and are ruining my life. Is there anything I can do.

No, there isn't, and that's not the way to go, though I really understand what you want and why you want it. Best to see a Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy psychologist ( NOT a hypnotist or psychoanalyst ), and NOT someone who is too interested in such problems and specializes exclusively in problems of people who were abused as children, as too many of them use unscientific and ineffective methods, and are working on their own agenda, and not on yours
What one can achieve with proper counselling, isn't to erase the memories, but to place thjem in perspective, and let them rest, and move on with the rest of your life, the happier part of it. As Chelle says, do NOT accept anyone who , apart from an initial assessment to udnerstand the problem, wants to spend long sessions purely in the past and reviewing tiny details of what happened. What happened to you was indeed awful, but it is neither necessary nor useful to try to remember all of iot. The details are actually unimportant --- what is important NOW, are the conclusions you formed from those experiences, the assumptions you have made about yourself and your expectations of life, and to be able to review and revise those.

2
Posted by: Chelle | 2006/11/10

Hi Hurt Soul

The best thing to do is to go for counselling - no medication can take away your memories of what happened. You need to learn how to handle the flashbacks and how to respond differently to the thoughts and feelings you have when it happens.

If things are getting too much for you, a psychiatrist might prescribe something for you to help you cope with the anxiety, or the depression - but it still doesn't take away the memories. It's only through counselling that you'll really get past it.

One word of advice (based on my own experience) - don't see someone who is going to spend months probing you about your past, and rehashing all the pain. It can just make things so much worse! Get someone who works with you, helping you to improve your responses to the difficulties you face.

With the right help, the flashbacks get less and less frequent, and eventually, when you do remember back to that time, it will be just like recalling any other memory, and not be so frightening and debilitating.

Best wishes.

Reply to Chelle
Posted by: SR | 2006/11/10

Go to Sexual Abuse Forum ... the link is on the left bottom of the page. There is a good peer group consisting of Oracle, TT and many others who will assist you.

Reply to SR