Question
Posted by: ella | 2005/01/12

child's eating habits

I have a 20 month old baby girl and she doesn't want to eat anything. She lives on milk and she doesn't like baby food as well. If she decides to eat, she will pursue a particular food item such as noodles for some time and then dump it for good. I have now ran out of ideas on what to feed her. Getting desperate.

Dear Ella
I apologise for only answering your question today, but I had to have an operation last Wednesday, and although I informed the boffins who administer the Message Board, they failed to block incoming messages while I was in hospital.
I think your lassie is drinking too much milk and that this is the reason why she refuses solids. Click on 'Child' at the top of this page and then on 'Nutrition' and read all the articles on infant diets, which will give you an idea of what foods she should be eating and what quantities. If this persists then you may benefit from consulting a clinical dietitian (check the List of Dietitians on this Website or phone 082-593-0276 or send an e-mail to sscharf@nhcltd.com or look in your local telephone directory or Yellow Pages, to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will guide you through this difficult and frustrating period when children experiment with foods and have eating jags.
Hang in there

1
Posted by: Vera | 2005/01/13

I don't know if this is an approach that doctors will approve of, but it worked for me and my son:

Though milk is good and healthy, at that age they should be eating alot of different things. What somebody suggested was that I turn food into something pleasant and playful. Instead of giving her mashed potatoes, boil it in its skin and cut a little face into it. Let her then decide what part of it she wants to eat and let her mash it herself (be prepared for a lot of cleaning up afterwards!)

Instead of cooking her veggies, give it to her raw. I.e. grate the carrot (let her help, it's very important to involve her in the preparation in some way or another), cut the pumpkin into strips (even raw pumpkin is better than none at all and for some weird reason my son loved his veggies this way). If you dish up a plate of cooked food, arrange it to look like an bunny/puppy/clown/whatever and let her decide what parts she wants to eat. Encourage her by saying things like "oh you haven't had clowns ears yet, just have a bite, its deeeeelicious!" In short, let your imagination go wild!

Reply to Vera