Question
Posted by: Lettie Nel | 2007/04/10

Child with depression, seperation anxiet

Hallo Doc,
Hope you can help. My daughter is 11, turning 12 in December. According to our doctor she suffers from depression, seperation anxiety(from me, the mother) and "aandag afleibaarheid sindroom".
She refuses to go to school. Always mood swings. Depressed and thoughts of suicide has been mentioned. She is taking 40 mg Prozak per day and 300 mg Epilim twice a day. However she still has this mood swings and anxiety attacks, when she is scared and upset. What I want to know is, how can I help her get better? Is there somewhere a book or info that I can use to help her from my side. We are starting home schooling. Please I need guidence. Thank you for your time. Greetings Lettie.

OK< so your doc thinks there is Depression, ADHD and Separation Anxiety. You describe school refusal and even thoughts of suicide. Is this being treated by a GP ? If so, I strongly suggest that the child should be re-assessed by a good local child psychiatrist for a second opinion and further advice. It sounds like a wider range of treatment should be considered, including counselling for the school refusal, rather than merely accepting it.