Question
Posted by: DALEEN | 2007/03/10

CHILD WITH CONCENTRATION PROBLEM

I HAVE A SIX YEAR OLD SON, HE JUST STARTED SCHOOL BUT HAS BEEN IN PRE-SCHOOL ASSWELL. I GOT DIVORCED FROM HIS MOTHER ABOUT THREE YEARS AGO. HE HAS A VERY BIG CONCENTRATION PROBLEM, HE STRUGGLES IN SCHOOL AND THE TEACHERS COMPLAINED ABOUT HIM BEING NAUGHTY. HE ALSO WRITES IN MIRROR VIEW AND HAS SPEACH PROBLEMS, HE IS SEEING A SPEECH THERAPIST BUT SHE SAID THAT HE DOESNT ACHIEVE WHAT HE SHOULD HAVE BY NOW. THEY RECOMMENDED THAT WE PUT HIM ON RITALIN. I HAVE HEARD SCARY STORIES ABOUT RITALIN, IS THERE SOMETHING ELSE WE CAN DO FOR HIM?

Dear Daleen
First have him evaluated by an occupational therapist - they can give them exercises to do to assist the development of the brain in these areas. Ritalin does help for some children but could have lots of side effects.
Look on www.easyinfo.co.za under medical for one near you.