Question
Posted by: Roselyn | 2007/03/05

Child not eating any solids

My baby is 3years 9 months and odes not want to eat. He only has milo and sometimes, ice-cream or yoghurt but refuses to eat any food. If i have to force him he says he will puke. What do i do as we even try to get him to eat from our plates but he still does not. If we give him melrose on a slice of bread, he won't eat the bread but only the melrose, What do i do?

Dear Roselyn
Refusal to eat solid food at the age of nearly 4 years is usually a 'cry for help'. I would recommend that you take your son to a pediatric psychologist so that you can find out why he is refusing to eat solids. Your child is using the threat that he will throw up as a means of controlling the situation in the home. The psychologist will assist you to find out what underlying problems trigger this behaviour. Also consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), to assist you through this difficult phase.
Holding thumbs for all of you