Posted by: YM | 2008/11/17

Child Maintenance law

i know it' s not Labour law related matter but can you explain the minimum age for child maintenance ? my son will be 16 in Jan 2009 and do i continue paying ' til he is 18 years old ? he is not achieving excellent results at school and therefore i do not think that he will study at a tertiary instution. If he does not continue studying after matric - must i continue paying ' til he is 18 years old or do i stop paying as soon as he turns 18 ?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageLabour lawyer


It is suggested that you get hold of a Matrimonial Attorney to give you the correct advice on this situation.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: nemsis | 2009/03/04

I need advice as to how to best approach this . An ex fell preggies with a child , after a few months her boyfreind dumped her. not happy with this she dragged him for a perternaty test, stating she would make him pay her as he has a rich family. And she would make him suffer . The results came out that in fact he was not the father , not happy with this she then turned her attentions to me after many conversations stating she would never demand money from me ever. Bitter for being dumped she stated she would make me suffer. In the past year she has treated me like an ATM. now she says its been a year and she has now served me again demanding more money . currently the court order stated that i should pay 900.00 per month . it was listed as 500.00 , i increased it to 900.00. the past 10 months its been paid on time every month. When i refused to increase it to 3000.00 , she threatened to harase my family and my ex wife , making access to my children next to impossible. she stated she would ensure i would loose all access to my children, who live in Cape Town currently. I only get to see them every 6 weeks due to the cost of traveling to see them. I need help , please i have no where else to turn

Reply to nemsis
Posted by: xoxo | 2008/11/17

Hi YM,

From personal experience and you could post your question on the Divorce forum, but you are liable to pay maintenance up and till he is 18. I have heard however that you have to pay till he / she starts working. Obviously you cannot pay for him untill he' s 34 etc. Perhaps just clarify the second part on the divorce forum, 18 years and older etc

Reply to xoxo

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.