Posted by: a | 2007/12/04

child maintenance

Firstly, i'd like to know: if i apply for maintenance, is the amount ruled on based on how much the baby needs per month or how much the parents earn?
Secondly, I'll be moving to a different city to work, so how easy will the process be if me and the baby's father are living hundreds of kilometres apart?
Thirdly, if my ex calls me and sends sms'es (falsely) accusing me of being a liar and a cheat and insulting me, which is a sort of harassment; can i get a restraining order? – if so, what'll be the implications on the relationship with his child, because i'd like them to have a relationship regardless of our own differences. But he's being very childish about it, if we fight he'll want nothing to do with the child until he wants to get back together & calls to pretend that he's just enquiring about the baby. Or, because i haven't been working this whole year, he'd just give me half the amount he usually does for maintenance & say the rest i should find a way of contributing. Does this constitute as financial abuse if we're not married?
What brought about this situation is that he dumped me after accusing me of cheating for the 1000th time, atleast, in the relationship; so a few days after the break-up i decided to accept a job offer that he'd known about but convinced me not to accept it & that he'd support me & the baby until i get a job around or nearby. But even if i didn't accept the offer, i couldn't rely on him because of his erratic behaviour & the financial implications on me if something goes wrong; which does 80% of the time. He's now told me to go apply for maintenance so i'll be in a tight spot financially for the next few months or however long it takes to process a maintenance claim.

He's crazy but doesn't know it, on a lighter note, is there a court in this country that can order someone to go for counselling?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberShrink

Please, huys I am a shrink and CANNOT give legal advice. COnsult a local lawyer, or ask at the Magistrate's court / maintenance court. Try the divorce forum, where more readers may be able to advise based on their own experience

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.