Question
Posted by: Rosemary | 2007/03/14

child has been biten by sandworm

Child has been biten by sand worm doctor treating him with Vermox tables in a oil base ointment does not seem to be helping can it get into his blood stream and cause major problems.Plse advise

Dear Rosemary
No it won't cause major problems - ask him to freeze the worm with ethyl chloride?

3
Posted by: pp | 2007/03/15

Like the doc says Rosemary if he can kill the Adult by freezing there will be no problem but like in my case you allow it to lay eggs and move untreated then the problems like I had will occur.I think the right approach would be to act quick and kill the bugger.
The main effects to your child will be itching .and Once killed healing is immediate
Have a nice day pp
PS if you want to look these things up on the web they are called Larval Migrans.

Reply to pp
Posted by: Rosemary | 2007/03/14

Is there any more information that you can provide to me regarding the above subject.
Effects
Healing etc.

Reply to Rosemary
Posted by: pp | 2007/03/14

Hi Rosemary I had a bad experience with these beasties last year I also got bitten in contaminated builders sand that had been soiled upon by a cat.The worm entered through the back of my Knee and migrated round the front after about two weeks I had forgotton all about the worm untill the eggs started to hatch I got a horrendous itching on my thigh and a large lump appeared within hours of this and then you can feel the worms starting to move I was horrified by this stage as one of the worms was heading towards my scrotom.The doctor Froze this one with a freez pen thing which burns the hell out of you but did kill the thing gave me wormox to swallow for three days and then the worms dissapeared thank goodness.
Three months later I had an itching feeling at the base of my spine which I thought was a spot or mossie bite but yet again the thing erupted and the worms started to move around .Again back to my doc who again gave me Wormox which over the next two days got rid. Then 4 months later last October I was driving home from a meeting in JHB when I felt an itchiness at the back of my neck and immediatly there was the eruption I had a huge lump on the back of my head and neck caused by these awfull things I drove streight to the chemist and took two wormox tablets and then to the doc who after a lot of discussions with her collegues and work on the internet gave ma a course of 10 days wormox once a day which up till now 5 months down the road has kept me free. but every small itch sends me into thinking are they back. They are horrid things. but wormox is a strong medication which gave me stomach cramps and nausea and depending on the age of your child only do what the chemist or the doc reccommends.Also ask them about a cortisone treatment to ensure the dead lavae in your skin does not cause an infection as that is what I got. The wormox does not kill the adult it only prevents the young lanae from feeding so the adult could have moved on to another area and started the whole cycle again like it did with me .Please dont take this bite lightly it sends the shivvers up me.
So far 5 months worm free and hoping..

Reply to pp