Posted by: mumOf1 | 2008/11/25

child custody

im not sure if ure the right person i shud be asking this,
im curretnly married with a 16month old girl, hubby and i have been fighting for sum time now and he keeps saying its over between us and that he' s taking the child with.then hte next he' l be like no he said that coz he was upset,now wha ti wana know is if him and i get to the point tht we divorce, i knw we will fight as to who keeps our girl, so i jus want to know what are the basics that the court looks at before granting a parent full custody of the child? i need to kno win case i need ot prepare myself like clearing my debt and stuff, i get the feeling our marriage will evntually come to an end and i dnt want him to keep my child, i would die.

so please help or refer me to sumone who can help

thank you

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageLabour lawyer


You need to speak to a family lawyer.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: xoxo | 2008/11/25

Hi mum of 1

Usually it was a clear case that the mother keeps custody of the child. The father will be granted custody only when the mother is deemed unfit, which means drugs / alcholic etc.

Nowadays, I would say you still have a good chance of keeping your child. Both parents are responsible for maintenance towards the child.

I would suggest you do find a good lawyer who will protect your rights and try and pay all your debt of asap.

All of the best : )

Reply to xoxo

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.