Question
Posted by: SAM22 | 2008/05/22

Child Burnout?

My 8year old daughter is in grade 2 and gets approx 1 hr homework/day. She does Tap and modern dancing (1hr/week), ballet (2 x 30mins/week), OT (struggling with reversals and concentration) 1hr/week + daily homework, Speech and drama 1hr/week. We fight terribly about homework, usually ending in screaming matches and tears. She loves to dance and act but hates ballet (but is really good) - I don't believe in quitting. Am I overworking/ pressurizing her - I don't want her to sit home in front of the TV all afternoon??. Do you think we/she should go for counsellling? We clash constantly ...

Lets see what others say ( and you might also like to try the Parenting Forum for their views ). It sounds to me like that little girl is carrying a very heavy load of after-school activities. Maybe some time in front of the TV wouldn't do much harm. COunselling for the pair of you might help you both understand the other a bit better

2
Posted by: Maria | 2008/05/22

Go to www dot inspiredparenting dot co dot za

There is an article about managing homework that you might find helpful.

Reply to Maria
Posted by: Maria | 2008/05/22

I hear you about quitting, but what is the point of forcing her to do something she hates? Tell her she must finish the term, that's fair. Maybe you can ask the OT to help the two of you make a plan so that homework will be less of a battlefield. Kids that age must still have time to play. Sitting in front of the tv is not the only alternative to formal activities. She can play by herself or with a friend, you can go for a walk together or bake a cake or she can help you with supper etc. Spending time together when you are not fighting about homework is vitally important.

Reply to Maria