Question
Posted by: SAR | 2005/11/24

CHILD ALLERGY

I have a 2 year old boy with a severe allergy reaction for dairy, eggs, nuts, colourants and flavourants. He was admitted at hospital for the first time at age 4 months due too anaphylactic shock and since then been treated with Zyrtec and celestamine. He is otherwise happy and healthy. The problem:
I can't seem to find a support group / website for help on local food products. Most products (for two year olds) at least contains one or two allergy triggers, example cereals. Can you please be of some help?

Dear SAR
I am so sorry to hear about your son's complicated allergies as this combination practically excludes all processed foods, which makes life so difficult. Firstly I think it is essential that you consult a clinical dietitian to assist you with food selection and working out a diet that permits normal growth, but excludes all the allergens (Check the List of Dietitians on this Website or phone 082-593-0276 or send an e-mail to sscharf@nhcltd.com or look in your local telephone directory or Yellow Pages, to find a dietitian in your area). Then there are the various articles published on this Website that may be useful - click on 'Diet' at the top of the page and then on ''Food-related disease' and read the articles on 'Allergies'. Finally you can access information at the SA Allergy Association Website at: www.allallergy.co.za
I hope this helps