Question
Posted by: Kevin | 2004/11/04

Child aggression

I have a child of three who only came to live with me at the age of 18 months old. He is the most loveable little boy he is now three years of age. He loses his temper for no apparent reason at least once a day, he gets uncontrollably angry. To the extent that even older children in his pre primary school are terrified of him. Can you give me some advice as to where i can take him for help

HI Kevin
It can be dificult to assess a child of this age ( especially by remote control, as here !) ; but it could be worth taking him to see a child psychiatrist or child psychologist, who could assess him in detail, and get clarity as to why he has these temper tantrums, and advise on the best way to deal with them.
And as ADD Mom wisely points out, play therapy ( which a child shrink can advise on ) can also be a method of assessment that can be very usefully revealing.

3
Posted by: Kevin | 2004/11/29

I have taken my child to a therapist and he is busy undergoing play therapy as well. What a change in the last three weeks he is suddenly more confident. the improvement is so great that a friend I last saw two weeks ago and saw yesterday said it is as if I had a different child. I would stongly recommend the same for anyone whose child has a similar problem. I have also been sending the child to speech therapy which i felt was also nessesary

Reply to Kevin
Posted by: ADD Mom | 2004/11/04

Maybe a play therapy is a place to start. I have been all over with my eldest one (refer posting child aggressive since on meds ( which is my baby)), and that seemed to work for him.

It is never easy.

ADD Mom

Reply to ADD Mom
Posted by: orie | 2004/11/04

I'll watch this space Kevin as I have exactly the same problem but mine is a girl . She's very aggressive and it used to worry me sick . The creche owner told me that it's s stage she's going through but my question is "why are'nt other kids like her ?' because there are loads of other 3 year olds in her creche but they are not scary monster like my daughter.

Reply to orie