Question
Posted by: Madie | 2004/02/09

Child afraid to go to school

My seven year old daughter(grade 2) started crying in the mornings before getting up for school. Upon gently probing her to the reason, she has told me that she is afraid of her teacher, because she is strick and she shouts at them, and this makes her nervous. She has also developed a sore stomach and headaches (geniune or trying to get out of going to school?) What should I do? Need I discuss this with her teacher -which might worsen the situation? Please help!

Dear Madie,
I'm sure our many other good moms among ou regular readers can tell you how they have handled similar situations. It's not unusual for a child to be temporarily bothered by attending school, especially when they encounter a somewhat frightening teacher. And sore stomachs and headaches are not unusual either. hey are genuine in the sense of generally sincere and painful, but not genuine in that they rarely indicate any significant physical problem ' they usually clear up fine when the anxiety is alleviated.
Without meeting the teacher, it's hard for you to judge whether talking to her will or won't help, but it's probably worth a try ( and, if the teacher proves to be unsympathetic and unhelpful, then speak to the headmaster / headmistress ). It's likely that something can be sorted out to relieve the little one's anxieties and settle the matter.