Posted by: Nick | 2008/01/27

Child Abuse

Hey doc

This is quite a serious one.. I suspect that a friend of mine is being abused at home (I don't have details yet, but she has indicated that she will elaborate soon). What channels do I go through if I find out that it is serious, and what will happen?


Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberShrink

Like Hope* I am limited because you didn't mention your friend's age, or whether the abuse is physical, emotional or whatever. Lifeline might be worth calling ( and your local branch, wherever you are, should know of local resources ). If your friend is technically still a child, Childline could also be very helpful, and your local branch of POWA may know of other local resources. If the person is an adult, then they themselves could make plans to move out and stay with someone else, and to law criminal charges with the police, against the abuser. It is wise to get such advice BEFORE announcing any action to the abuser, so as best to protect the safety of the victim

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Hope* | 2008/01/27

Not Doc, but would like to comment.  You are quite right about this being a serious one.  You dont mention the age of your friend or what type of abuse eg. physical, emotional or sexual.  Sometimes it is not only one form of abuse (eg. sexual abuse would involve physical and emotional abuse as well).  The channels to go through would depend on the age of the victim, how he/she wants to deal with the problem.  I would not chase to court with a young child ,you must first consult with a child psychologist.   You must try if possible to verify the allegations.   You have to be very sure of what you are doing.  You dont know what type of person the abuser is.  This is another subject to be very wary of.  When I tried to "get away" from my abuser, my cat died of poisoning the next day.  Professional help is definitely in order, please be very careful.  I would like to wish you luck, but luck is not a word I would use is such a serious problem, rather I would like to wish you even more wisdom. You can also contact lifeline and the depression and anxiety group - the numbers are above.

Reply to Hope*

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.