Question
Posted by: worried mom | 2005/12/12

Child Abuse?????????????

I have a three and a half yr old stepdaughter and I was explaining basic facts to her one night that NO ONE is ever allowed to touch her privates. She then very inoccently said to me that "Grandpas" are allowed. To my shock , I asked her if he(grandpa) ever had touched there and she said yes. Now i dont know, can a child lie about something this serious or imagine it? I m scared I put the words onto her head and she only repeated what I actually asked about "grandpa" I want to take her to a child pyciatrist , but first want to know if it is possibly only her imagination. She still wets her bed, her pants during the day and breaks my own sons toys , but I thought these were signs of jealousy and she would just need to learn to share.????????/

Please help!!!

Children can, of course, lie, even about something as serious as this, but such a comment, in the context you describe, is highly inlikely to be a lie, and one can't think of a motive for her to lie about this. It's possible, I suppose, that she is telling the truth but not describing abuse, if grandpa has needed to help her change after she wet herself, for instance.
Best to take her to see a good local child psychologist or child psychiatrist for assessment, to help clarify what may have happened.

3
Posted by: waterblom | 2005/12/12

Please make work of this. Rather be sure than sorry.

Reply to waterblom
Posted by: Jade | 2005/12/12

I agree, don't ignore it.

I think it would be a good idea to take her to a child phsycologist.

I was molested as a child & it has had a huge impact on my life. I kept it to myself for over 20years before I spoke out and sought help.

Reply to Jade
Posted by: Me | 2005/12/12

Whatever you do, do not ignore her. My husband's mother dismissed his claims as nonsense when he was little, and he (and me too) are still suffering as a result of it today 30 years later!

Reply to Me