Question
Posted by: mm | 2007/12/03

child

Not sure if you into child psych but my 3 yr granddaughter has development and behavior problems so we try to get her to look at us so as to make sure she concentrates on everything we say to her but she cannot focus on our faces. Even if we hold her head she will turn her eyes away from us. Its not that she doesn't want to its as if she can't look you in the eye. Her test don't show up any genetic problems. She is at the development of an 18mth old. From experience I find sometimes going to a Dr with a specific request to have children tested for helps as one tends to shy away from problems with your children so when the Dr says nothing wrong you tend to say good and run away. So any suggestion would help. thank you.

This is a really complex question, mm. There are a number of developmental problems and neurological problems that could cause such a situation --- even relatively simple things like poor vision. Ideally, one would want her to be seen by a good paediatrician for a full general and neurological assessment, and then by a good child psychiatrist or psychologist for a full assessment of her mental state and possible problems of a more psychological / psychiatric sort.
I understand your idea of going with a specific request, but when the possibilties are as broad as they are here, that wouldn't work so well --- what one would need would be a more comprehensive asessment to check on a wide range of possibilities