Question
Posted by: Concerned | 2007/03/15

Chihuahua - upset stomach

Dear Cybervet,

We have a 4,5 month old female Chihuahua (current weight is 900g). She is very playful, and does all the normal things a puppy does. At least once a week she has an upset stomach for no apparent reason (diarhoe, sometimes vomiting as well) - she is still very playful during these periods but obviously refuses to eat. Her diet consisted of Hill Puppy, and sometimes boiled chicken with that. I gradually changed it to Eukanuba Puppy which she seems to love.

She does have a hernia which we will have repaired once she's 6 months old - could this be the cause?

Thanks for your help.

How often does she have the cooked chicken and does this preceed the sickness and diarrhoea? How long has she been on the Eukanuba? Does she still ge the chicken? How large is the hernia and does it ever feel firm?

2
Posted by: Concerned | 2007/03/19

I stopped with the cooked chicken which she got a little bit of with the Eukanuba at each meal (4 x small portions/day). Her sickness is always first thing in the morning, and happened even after I stopped giving her chicken. (I can hear the tummy grumbling, and then I know...) She has been on the Eukanuba for about 3 weeks now. The hernia is about 2cm x 1cm, and no it doesn't feel firm.

Reply to Concerned
Posted by: DC | 2007/03/15

If your has checked her out and there's nothing really obviously wrong then you should get some protexin probiotic from the vet. its easy to give and is a natural way to stop diarrhoea.

Reply to DC