Question
Posted by: What now? | 2008/01/23

Chickenpox vaccination during pregnancy

My daughter has contracted chickenpox and "broke out" this morning. I am 32 weeks pregnant and altough I have been exposed before (as a child and as adult) to chickenpox and did not become ill, I am worried.
The information on websites are a bit contradictory to preventative treatment wrt to immunisation / oral antiviral drugs during pregnancy. Did get blood tests this morning to test IGG and IGM(?) for varicella/chickenpox. Should I get immunised as soon as possible or what treatment would you suggest? Must I wait for bloodtest first (±48hours) Thank you for your time!

I would suggest that you wait for the blood test. It is likely that you are immune.

1
Posted by: Maya | 2008/01/24

Chicken pox is quite serious during the last trimester!
You should definately NOT get the vaccine! Wait for the test results, which will most probably be negative. Unfortunately there is no treatment you can take while you are pregnant:)

Reply to Maya