Question
Posted by: Marab | 2007/08/22

Chickenpox child and pregnant!! ???

I am 37 weeks pregnant and has casue to suspect that my 3 year old toddler might have chickenpox. She started a rash after 3 days of unexplained fevers. I have had chickenpox at 8 years of age myself and I also had my toddler immunized against the varizella virus in 2005.

I am concerned that my unborn might be affected, and that I myself might contract the disease again. What shall I do? My hubby has never had chickenpox either.

Please help or advise...

Dear Marab

Ask your doctor to check your chickenpox antibody level with a blood test - this will give you an indication of how big the risk is that you will get it. It can cause infection in the baby if you are sick when she/he is born that could be dangerous. Let your GP have a look at your little girl's rash too to confirm if it really is chickenpox?

Also See http://www.marchofdimes.com/pnhec/188_675.asp