Question
Posted by: cha | 2004/03/08

chickenpox

I am 14weeks pregnant and I was exposed to chickenpox;I then went to a doctor who suggested to give me varicella zoster immunoglobulin injection.May I please know how safe is it to take this injection and what might be the complication of the exposure to chickenpox.(exposed for 2 weeks now.
Thank you.

Cha, there is no reason to be worried. You’ve probably had chickenpox before and won’t get it again (you would’ve seen the water blisters by now). Even if you’re not immune,, you don’t have to worry because chickenpox isn’t the same as german measles – it isn’t harmful to the baby if you get it during pregnancy. Good luck.

1
Posted by: Candy | 2004/03/09

I was almost 3 months pregnant when I got chicken pox- full blown. I had a sore through and fever as well. When my daughter was born she had slight spots on her chin and arms which disappeared when she was about a month old. The Gynae told me at this stage that nothing would happen to my baby and he was so right. She will never get chicken pox again because she got it while in my wonb!

Reply to Candy