Question
Posted by: Charles | 2002/12/04

CHICKEN POX at 28?

Hi Doc - I am a 28y/o male and have never had any childhood illnesses whatsoever. Today my colleague at work walked in with her 5 y/o daughter who has chickenpox in the early stages (We share the same office space) - I am quite scared of this as I have heard some horror stories doing the rounds. What are my chances of getting the illness and what are my chances of surviving? - Also - what are the symptoms I should look out for if I suspect that anything is wrong.

I appreciate your response and thank you in advance.

Charles

Charles, your chances of surviving are a 100%. You will experience flu-like symptoms within 10-14 days after the exposure to the virus and then an itching rash will start. If nothing happens within the next 2 weeks, you’re safe. Good luck.
PS. You can ask your GP for a Varilrix® vaccination against chickenpox.

2
Posted by: Xpornstar | 2002/12/08

Hiya,

After dodging the virus for 30 years or so it finally caught up with me ! I don't want to sound like a grump, but damn it felt terrible ! The physical impact is like the doc said - a heavy flu-like feeling ..... then, of course, there is the spots - now I don't know if it's the norm, but I had them like EVERYWHERE - and lots of them too - and they are worse than any mozzie bite, and the old favourite camomile cream didn't help much ......

All I can say is, get the vaccination, and do it NOW !

Laterzzz,

X

Reply to Xpornstar
Posted by: worried | 2002/12/05

You shouldn't panic. I too am in my 30's and have never developed chickenpox (or any other childhood diseases for that matter!) There is obviously the possibility of your contracting the illness, and fortunately, the disease runs its course without their being major complications. Being 28, you might just experience the symptoms to a greater degree than would a child. If you are particularly concerned, and can't afford time off work should you come down with chickenpox, there is a vaccine available (at a cost of about R300) which you'll be able to have at your local pharmacy, and this will prevent you developing the disease. Good luck!

Reply to worried