Question
Posted by: Vlooi | 2006/07/20

chewing tale and nails

its not serious my daschund chews her tale not broken or raw she more sucks it than chews it could this just be a habit or could she be lacking something, she also chews her nails although i keep trimmed and neat she just likes messing up her manicure, Could anyone tell me if this just a habit or boredom or is something missing in her diet for example.

Chewing at the tail can be a sign of fleas, worms or anal glands. If your pet has flea and worm treatment regularly then the anal glands should be checked and emptied if full (a seriously malodorous procedure!).Chewing the claws can be as a result of a fungal infection causing discomfort but these animals usually destroy the nails.

1
Posted by: Chill | 2006/07/20

Doubt it's anything to do with diet - it's probably boredom. Get her an array of things to chew - hooves, rawhide chews, kongs. See how it goes - but don't wait too long if it doesn't work, because this kind of thing can become obsessive and if that's the way it's going to go, then the sooner you get it sorted out, the better. If that is the case, your vet would be your starting point, possibly followed by a behaviourist.

Reply to Chill