Question
Posted by: Erica | 2005/12/02

chewing and swallowing

i sometimes really struggle to swallow my food. Even if i chew it properly and for long it struggles to go down i have to drink a lot of water to let the food go down.

Is there something i should be worried about - what possibilities are there?

Dear Erica,
Yes you should be worried. Please ask your GP to refer you to a Gastro-enterologist for a Barium swallow so that they can see whether your esophagus is narrowed. This can be caused by something simple like bad heartburn that burns the inside and causes a scar but also by more serious things like cancer, so don't waste any time. Let me know how it goes.