Posted by: Nicole | 2012/03/06

Chest pains

Hi doctor

For the past couple of months i''ve started to experience quite weird chest pains. I initially brushed it of as " something that will go away" . The pain seems to be exactly between the bones above my breast but the whole area seems to be in pain. Sometimes when I cough or even stand up it pains. What could be the cause? My aunts on my mums side all had breast cancer except for my mum. Should I make an appointment with a GP for an examination or a Gynaecologist? I''m also not sure if it is possible to have breast cancer as I''m only 22, and I do not smoke. Though I''m surrounded by smokers.

Thanks in advance


Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberDoc


I suggest that you consult your GP for an examination and a referral for a mammogram. The pain can however be due to costochondritis. This is inflammation of the ribs' junctions to the breastbone or sternum that causes chest pain and can easily be treated. You can take Myprodol, two capsules, three times daily to alleviate your pain.


Dr Anrich

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.