Posted by: mel | 2005/11/17

chest pains

hi there.
i am a 28yr old female. i have been experiencing chest pain on my left hand side. just below my collor bone and just slightly above my breast. i'v spoken to 2dr's who say that its just muscle fibroids, and that i'm over-reacting because i'm a regular at the gym. do i need to be concerned?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageArchive

Dear Mel,
Please ask your doctors to explain exactly what they mean by muscle fibroids – I have never heard of a condition with this name causing chest pains.

You may well have a bit of inflammation in your intercostals muscles, and it may be a kind of repetitive strain injury caused by too much gym. Perhaps this is what they are calling a fibroid.

Chest pains caused by heart problems are not usually felt where you have described, and if you are an otherwise healthy and fit young person, you have little cause for concern. However, there is always and exception to the rule, so if you are worried, I suggest that you ask your doctor to do a resting AND a treadmill stress ECG. (this is usually done correctly by a cardiologist) If that finds no heart problems, then you can rest assured,


The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Matthew | 2005/12/05

Hello there,
hmm, I am kinda also having likewise issues. I have had local pain I say that is under/inside my left pectoral. I have had this now that i can remember for over a year, off and on. I dont worry its heart related but am trying to pinpoint what I may have done or got. Picking up my babyboy or moving stuff/lifting makes it onset

I feels as if a mule has kicked me in the chest when I breath out DEEPLY. I can hold my breath there and almost actually notice that its a BONE / Rib or a Muscle. I was wondering if it could actually be whats called costochondritis? I try earching on the web for Torn Chest muscles and get very little in results. I do have larger Pectoral muscle's than most men because of heavy lifting in HS. Could I have torn it? I have no signs of swelling or infection.

All the best,

Reply to Matthew
Posted by: HeartDoc | 2005/11/25

Dear Ayezed,
Your GP should be able to do an ECG for you, but the most valuable information is actually obtained from what is called a stress, or treadmill ECG. That test is done by specialist cardiologists. If you have a medical aid, then ask your GP to refer you to a cardiologist for these tests. If no medical aid, then you will have to go via your clinic or day hospital to get a referral to a state hospital department of cardiology.

Good luck.


Reply to HeartDoc
Posted by: Ayezed | 2005/11/24

Hi there, i have a similar problem but on my right hand side and I've been havin g it for the past year now. X-rays were clear, doctors said it might be just a musle pain, but Im still struggling. How do I go about geting an ECG done? Please advise.

Reply to Ayezed

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.