Question
Posted by: Louise | 2005/07/08

Chest pains

After 22yrs of smoking 20-30 cigs a day l cut back to 3cigs a day 8 days ago. i now have constant discomfort in my left lung area extending to my shoulderblade and in my left armpit. Its hard to describe not sore or numb- a mix of both. I am prone to psychocosmatic symptoms but should l be concerned?

Louise, smoking suppresses the mucous production in the lungs, and it might be that everything is “kicking in” again and that this is what you’re feeling. It might of course be due to something else like an infection, so if becomes worse the best would be to see your doctor. Good luck.