Question
Posted by: Sips | 2004/01/22

Chest Pains

I started gym again this week after a month lay off. I did tradmill for 15 minute but during the time I had a terrible pain in upper part of my chest. This made break for a minute to relieve pains.

What could be the problem?

I would hope that it's nothing to be concerned about - I can't say either way whether it is or not, although I do know that often this is just related to breathlessness because of the layoff before the exercise bout. However, there are other causes, including some fairly serious ones, like heart problems (angina is one, caused by impaired blood flow to the heart muscle), and so certainly if it does happen again, or regularly, then it would warrant seeing a doctor for some diagnostic tests. If it does not, then you can probably put it down to the effort during the session, breathlessness, perhaps even something you ate. Hopefully, it doesn't come back again

GOodluck

1
Posted by: Mike | 2004/01/22

Hi Sips,
The indication that you are receiveing chest pain during excersize is not a good sign. If the pain is in the upper left chest area it could be of serious concern. More particular it could be mild Angina. This is a deep dull pain, other than previously experienced. In the majority of cases you will recognise the pain as being Angina, as it is unique. It could be something entirely different. It is however suggested that one does have such a chest pain looked at by your doctor or Cardiologist particularly if the pain subsided once you stopped on the treadmill or reduced your tempo.
Have it looked at......take care...

Reply to Mike