Question
Posted by: Worried | 2004/11/01

Chest pain

Hi Doctor

For a few weeks I have been experiencing a pain in my chest, the area of which is above my breasts, but in the centre and occasionally very, very slightly to the right. It is burning type of pain which occasionally seems to go through to the top of my back and when I drink anything cold or hot, I can "feel" it go all the way down. Sometimes I also have the sensation that my food has not always been swallowed properly. I went to the doctor to make sure it was not a problem with my heart, which he said it wasn't and suggested that it could be an infection of the thorax or perhaps an ulcer. Surely I would experience pain in my stomach region if it was an ulcer? Please help me, I am terrified that it is a warning sign of a heart attack! I am a mom of two young children.

Worried, it is difficult to make a diagnosis from this side of the screen, but it sounds like it might be due to gastro-oesophageal reflux. I wrote something on the other than heart causes of chest pain a while ago and if you’re interested in a copy you can mail me at CyberDoc@mweb.co.za. The other option would be to go straight to a specialist physician and have him make 100% sure it isn’t due to your heart. Good luck.