Question
Posted by: CJ | 2003/02/19

Chest pain

Dear Cyberdoc.

For the last few day's I am having a very strange pain just underneath my chest area. This goes together with shortness of breath. The pain feels like when one have a wind stuck. The pain goes away after a I had a bit of a walk and had some water to drink. The simptoms then fades to a light pressure feeling in my chest. Any idea what this could be? I am 27 years old and overall healthy.

CJ, it sounds like it might be due to pleuritis (inflammation of the sack around the lungs) or maybe a hernia. The problem is that I won’t be able to say for sure without first examining you. If you’re interested in something I wrote on the non-heart causes of chest pain, you can mail me at CyberDoc@mweb.co.za and I’ll send you a copy. If the pain persists, the best would be to see your doctor. Good luck.