Question
Posted by: Nina | 2004/11/08

Chest discomfort

Dear Doc

In June this year I had a strange "episode" It felt like my heart stalled for a few seconds and only after a hard cough did it get going correctly again. It left me immensly exhausted. Since then I have experienced mild similar episodes. My chest feels like it has a hug hole in it, quite hollow, but heavy at the same time. My heartbeat seems to be irregular at times. Sometimes breathing takes a bit of effort. I also get these shooting pains down my arms, a bit like electric impulses. I am also constantly tired but am unable to sleep. Insomnia is my best friend at present. Should I be going to see a cardiologist? I am 33 yrs. old

Nina, it sounds like you had an episode of atrial fibrillation or something worse. The best would be to see a cardiologist ASAP. Good luck.