Question
Posted by: jillzee | 2008/06/02

chemo

My dear friend has been diagnosed with cervical cancer. She's starting with chemotherapy. What kind of advice can you give and are there any special diets that a person should be on or good supplements to take to help her through this. She is going to find out all these things but maybe there are a few tips which I could give her.

This isn't a psychiatric question, J. And she needs specific, not generic answers here. She MUST discuss this with her oncologist / cancer specialist, as not all vitamins or supplements would help support the necessary actions of her treatments, and some would be helpful. She should also contact the Cancer Association, which can put her in touch with support groups, maybe also to help her meet women who have survived cervical cancer and can guide her through the treatment ahead.

3
Posted by: jillzee | 2008/06/03

Sorry - was off line for a while - many thanks for your comments - interesting about the supplements/vitamins, I will definitely pass that on to her - I would have thought that they would all have been good so she must watch out for that. Will pass on all the advice to her. Thanks so much

Reply to jillzee
Posted by: meme | 2008/06/02

At some point during chemotherapy, you may feel:
Anxious
Depressed
Afraid
Angry
Frustrated
Helpless
Lonely
It is normal to have a wide range of feelings while going through chemotherapy. After all, living with cancer and getting treatment can be stressful. You may also feel fatigue, which can make it harder to cope with your feelings.

How can I cope with my feelings during chemotherapy?

Relax. Find some quiet time and think of yourself in a favorite place. Breathe slowly or listen to soothing music. This may help you feel calmer and less stressed.

Exercise. Many people find that light exercise helps them feel better. There are many ways for you to exercise, such as walking, riding a bike, and doing yoga. Talk with your doctor or nurse about ways you can exercise.

Talk with others. Talk about your feelings with someone you trust. Choose someone who can focus on you, such as a close friend, family member, chaplain, nurse, or social worker. You may also find it helpful to talk with someone else who is getting chemotherapy.

Join a support group. Cancer support groups provide support for people with cancer. These groups allow you to meet others with the same problems. You will have a chance to talk about your feelings and listen to other people talk about theirs. You can find out how others cope with cancer, chemotherapy, and side effects. Your doctor, nurse, or social worker may know about support groups near where you live. Some support groups also meet online (over the Internet), which can be helpful if you cannot travel.

Talk to your doctor or nurse about things that worry or upset you. You may want to ask about seeing a counselor. Your doctor may also suggest that you take medication if you find it very hard to cope with your feelings.

Reply to meme
Posted by: in remission | 2008/06/02

i have just finished 15 rounds of chemo. my advice would be to speak to an oncologist before taking vitamins or suppliments. I thought i should be on suppliments but my onclogist advised me against them. also dont fight the fact that you have Cancer accept the fact that this is now the "new normal" obviously your dear friend will have to make major adjustments to her lifestyle to cope with the effects of the chemotherapy. the side effects also vary depending which regimen you are on.

Reply to in remission