Question
Posted by: Amanda | 2007/05/29

Chemical vs Natural Supplements

PLEASE tell me: Vital, Bio Harmony, Weetol, etc are they chemically manufactured and how on earth can they be healthy versus a) Andre Vogl and b) GNLD supplements which claim to be a) natural b) from natural foods.

Expert ImageNatural health

I am sure that each of the brands you mention has a few good products in their range. However as you said they may be chemically manufactured or claim to be "natural" or "from natural food" Most supplements available on the market either synthetic chemicals or isolated chemicals. These lack the food cofactors that are inherent to whole food. These food cofactors are what affect the absorbtion utility and retention of the nutrients. Also when a nutrient is extracted from a natural food as is claimed, this extraction process removes vital elements of the nutrient structure. Thus supplements extracted from "natural food" are often not much better than there syntheyic counterparts.

My advice on supplementing is avoid mega doses, look for a supplement that has published research attesting to its absorbtion and bioavailability.

Regards Dr Debbie