Question
Posted by: Wondering | 2008/05/23

Chemical peels

Do you think that chemical peels will give results for hytrophic scaring and what is your general feeling about chemical peeling

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi ‘Wondering’, thank you for the question.

Hypertrophic scars tend to resolve on their own, however, if the scar (after flattening) has widened the only treatment option available is surgical excision and correction. I would not treat these scars with a chemical peel as an increased inflammatory reaction may cause the scar to become aggravated and eventually appear worse.

Chemical peels are a good treatment option for rejuvenating the skin but one should be aware that there are a number of different peels on the market today. The type of peel and depth of peel to choose depends on the skin type and the condition one is treating and taking into consideration the side effects, complications, and downtime.

As a broad guideline peels can be divided into three groups: deep (phenol), medium (TCA, blue peel), and superficial (alpha and beta hydroxy acids).
My preference is the superficial peels and in this group I prefer glycolic acid peels – the gold standard today is the NeoStrata Peel system.

All peels will rejuvenate the skin (in various degrees), increase hydration, and lighten pigmentation. Some work well to reduce acne and acne scarring (salicylic acid), while others work well as an anti-ageing tool (glycolic acid).

If chemical peels are performed for the appropriate reason by an experienced and trained therapist, doctor, etc. I believe that they are an excellent tool for an overall improvement of the skin.

1
Posted by: LL | 2008/06/20

NUSTRATA product for chemical peel is excellent! Im having it done for pigmentations and i have a VERY sensitive skin.

Reply to LL