Question
Posted by: Clint | 2003/01/19

Cheese before bedtime - Nightmares or peaceful sleep ??

Hi DietDoc,

I have read 2 apparently conflicting reports regarding Cheese. One article stated that eating Cheese before bedtime can cause Nightmares probably due to its high fat content, while the other report claimed that eating Cheese before bedtime can enhance peaceful sleep as it results in the release of tryptophane (don't know if I have the right chemical here ?).

What would be your verdict ??

Clint

Dear Clint
I don't think that eating cheese at suppertime should give one nightmares! Nightmares are a function of subconscious thought content emerging when one sleeps, not food. Cheese and milk are good sources of the amino acid tryptophan which by means of a chemical reaction increases the levels of a chemical called serotonin in the brain. When serotonin levels rise in the brain one is more relaxed and less depressed, so this could enhance sleep.