Question
Posted by: anne | 2004/12/07

cheese and pregnancy

I love feta cheese but I heard cheeses aren't good and can affect the normal development of my baby. I'm 7 weeks pregnant. Please advise whether I can eat feta cheese and what cheeses should I not eat.

Avoid Brie and camembert and blue cheeses. The rest are fine.

3
Posted by: Purple | 2004/12/09

So long as cheese is pastueruised its fine.

Reply to Purple
Posted by: Nuffing | 2004/12/07

Feta is fine, it the runny cheeses bree and camembert that have a small risk of containing the listeria (bacteria?) which can be harmful during pregnancy.

Normal cheddar, gouda and feta is fine.

Remember that any food that can normally make you sick like old pies etc, is what you need to watch out for as it poses a risk to the baby as well.

As be sesible, but it doesn't mean you have to cut half the food types out of your diet, just make sure you eat good fresh food. Certainly avoid pates, soft cheeses and cold meats on a platter at a function which have been lying out all day, but if you buy fresh goods, and refridgerate immediately and eat while fresh, they are fine...

Reply to Nuffing
Posted by: Kippie | 2004/12/07

Please stay away from any soft cheeses, including feta cheese.
It is a small price to pay for 9 months.
Also biltong, droe wors and basically any uncooked food.

Reply to Kippie