Question
Posted by: WantToBeHealthy | 2003/12/04

Cheap, easy, healty diet

Dear DietDoc,

I'm a male of 23yrs of age. I live by myself. I'm currently spending about R50 a day on take aways, which i can't really afford. i work from 6am to 7pm. so by the time i get home i'm not in the mood for the efford to make big foods. i would really like to get a diet, not to lose weight though. just to be healthy. can you please help me with a cheap, easy, healthy diet?

Dear Want to Be
One of the best diets to follow is a low-fat, high-fibre diet which will protect you against heart disease and cancer. Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet. As you are not trying to lose weight you can have larger portions of the permitted foods. This diet only requires that you make a shopping list and buy the foods you will require, e.g. sliced wholewheat bread or Provitas plus low-fat margarine, thinly sliced cold meat or cottage cheese, salad vegetables (tomatoes, cucumber, lettuce, gherkins) and fruit juice or fresh fruit for lunch. You then also need to plan what you are going to have at each meal, but once you get into the habit, it will become second nature to buy, take along and eat healthy food.