Question
Posted by: Pam | 2004/12/14

Chat: Please help! - ATM Fraud!!

Hi people

I received a new card yesterday lunch time from my branch because the old one was faulty. When I got back to the office I reactivated the card for my internet banking. My accounts were fine except for the fact that someone else’s account also appeared with my accounts. I phoned the bank and reported it, they investigated and solved that problem. This morning when I log in, I noticed that money has been withdrawn from my account. It looks like it was drawn from the ATM at about 3 yesterday. There have been 2 withdrawals. I haven’t even used this new card at the ATM and I don’t know what is going on.

Has anyone of you guys ever experienced something like this? – did you get your money back ?, I am going mad here!!! I have been on the phone all morning and the bank is busy investigating. Oh Gosh, this cannot be happening to me.

Sounds like sheer negligence on the part of the bank, and they must surely be responsible for all losses you may have occurred. Their slownes in solving the problem is alarming --- surely they could immediately create fresh accounts for you, with different numbers, and transfer all of your own funds into them, and issue fresh emergency cards based on those accounts, while figuring out what went wrong with the original deal.
The need pressure to bopther to solve problems --- a Pretoria car dealership, through sheer gross negligence, wrote down someone's fax number incorrectly, as my phone number ( and stupidly --- why would a guy living in Krugersdorp have a fax number in Pretoria ?). Then as this guy seems to be buying a number of cars, and financing them with different banks, brokers, lawyers, etc., and these fools have been sending our MY fax number too all and sundry, I have days when my phone line has been tied up with faxes, which, sent on automatic by their fax machine, resulted in me being phoned every 5 minutes for days on end. If I switch across and received the faxes, the only way to end the calls, I received a bunch of very large faxes with all sorts of confidential financial detail about this other guy. I'd phone each office from which the faxes came, explaining what was wrong, and would be promised that the number would be deleted --- only to have the whole thing start again the next day.
This problem has cotinued, on and off, for over a year. ONLY when I threatened legal action for damages against the idiots in the car dealership does it seem to have stopped.
So good luck in your battle with a difference group of fools !

2
Posted by: J | 2004/12/14

Sounds very suspicious, especially the wdl at 3am!
A few years back, someone deposited fraudulent cheques into my bank account.I immediately reported it to my branch, only to discover that this person collected a cheque book on my behalf. I was taken to the chequebook collections point and the lady on duty confirmed that I was not the person who collected the book.However, the signature was identical to mine, as well as the ID number.
For weeks I battled because cheques were going through on my account, which I never issued.I was not liable for any of them.In fact, the bank did not reverse the interest for cheques deposited.I suppose this was a goodwill gesture, which was not worth the stress I experienced, anyway!

Most of these fraudulent cases are "inside jobs" and the banks are just out to cover their own tracks, in a manner of speaking.I suggest you not only go directly to the Branch manager,but lay a criminal charge at the police station, as well.Just to be on the safe side!

Goodluck.Oh, btw, my incident occurred around this time of the year, as well.

So to all of you who read this message, TAKE EXTRA CARE OF YOUR FINANCES DURING THE FESTIVE SEASON!!!!!

Reply to J
Posted by: snowy | 2004/12/14

Shame that is hectic...I would ask to take about 2 hrs off and go straight to the bank and sort it out there not over the phone ...

they need to refund you as they stuffed up the accoutns ...
sure everything will be fine soon...

GOOD LUCK!

Reply to snowy