Question
Posted by: Lu | 2004/12/14

Chat: Paul, quick question

What does *sic* after a word or phrase mean?

It often is used to mean something like "Believe it or not, this actually was said by this person in these words". For instance, if the impossible event ever happened, one might write : "Today, President Mbeki apologised, saying :"Sorry, folks, I have been dangerously wrong about HIV/AIDS all along" (sic).
But P has the correct usage : you're word-for-word quoting what someone else actually said or wrote, even though it contains a spelling or grammatical error, for which the reader should blame the bloke who said it or wrote it, and not you. Thus " A recent headline in Beeld, spoke of "President Mebki" (sic) "
From the Latin, sic, meaning "THus," or "This way".
It also stands for Standard Industrial Classification, but that fits neither Paul nor Boris. Abnd Southern Illinois College, and a Shareware Indusry award. Then there's SIC@HOME: the "Search for Incredible Coincidence at home-- a scientifical project that harnesses the power of tens of Internet connected computers in the quest to prove the infinity of the universe. ... " And the Scientific Instrument Commission.
And a word used to encourage a dog to attack, as in "Sic 'em, boy !" And the Latin saying " "sic transit gloria mundi", which is not about how Gloria fell ill on a bus on Monday, but means " That's how the glories of the world pass."
(sigh ) (sic)

11
Posted by: Kernel | 2004/12/14

It actually means "said in confidence" i.e. you repeat exactly what the other person said, without correcting any mistakes.

Reply to Kernel
Posted by: . | 2004/12/14

sex in cupboard

Reply to .
Posted by: Unknown | 2004/12/14

What did "Boris Becker" do in the restuarant??????

Reply to Unknown
Posted by: P | 2004/12/14

sic

which was something Boris Becker had with a waitress in a restuarant

Reply to P
Posted by: Paul | 2004/12/14

Jip not sure of the spelling of statitician so I said *sic*, not to be confused with bic which is built in cupboard.

Reply to Paul
Posted by: sic | 2004/12/14

To Paul

There is a second meaning to the word sic and I urge you to use it on P

Reply to sic
Posted by: P | 2004/12/14

Ok, here goes:

The way Paul used it (behind his own sentence) seems to indicate that he is unsure of the spelling of the word he used.

The way it is used in newspapers/magazines etc is: When quoting someone else and thus writing verbatim (word for word) what the person said/wrote and knowing that there is a spelling/grammatical error in the sentence, *sic* is placed behind the word that is used incorrectly. Thus you would not think that the editor made the mistake, he is just repeating verbatim what was said/written by the other person.

Reply to P
Posted by: P | 2004/12/14

Sorry Lu, I'm doing something that irritates me when someone else does it on the forum: responding when a question is not directed to me, reacting without giving any input.

That's why I'll leave the question for Paul.

Reply to P
Posted by: LULU | 2004/12/14

ja ek hoor altyd hulle sê dit in die "movies" ook

Reply to LULU
Posted by: Lu | 2004/12/14

I'm asking Paul 'cos in a previous posting he used this. Just curious.

Reply to Lu
Posted by: P | 2004/12/14

Dis ou nuus maar Paul sal weet

Reply to P