Question
Posted by: Delene | 2005/11/25

CHAT - ASP

hey Asp, how you doing today!?

I am wondering actually. Do you work in an office of your own? Or do you share offices?
Can you work from home?

I am struggling to get work dun during the day. Its always been like that. I do my normal general office work during the day, deal with the clients etc, but I can not concentrade to code. The phone rings every 10 minutes, sumone walks into the office, ask a question, wants this, then that.

The result is, I mostly work in the evenings when everyone is asleep & quiet...No one there to bother me.
Ive been suffering of lack of sleep for the past 7 years because of this reason.
So i'm wondering if you got the same problem? To program takes my concentration & the moment its broken, it takes an hour to get into it again, just to be broken again in 10 minutes.
Wish they would allow me to work flexi

,,,,,

11
Posted by: ASP | 2005/11/25

Oh well, at least we (me and my team of developers) don't have to deal with that kind of stuff like supprt.. We only do development and that is that. But then again, we only have one big system to look after, all the maintenance as well as new development.

Reply to ASP
Posted by: Delene | 2005/11/25

ASp, that is my companies attitude as well.......
And we get a project, we must deal with the maintenance of old projects & new projects. Once its my client, is mine, i must help him. I must do support as well.

Reply to Delene
Posted by: ASP | 2005/11/25

Then consider yourself fortunate Jakes (To be able to claim for 14 hrs).

We are also bound to deadlines Delene, but my company's attitude just sucks, if your not done with work when deadlines comes, they assume that you have'nt worked hard enough etc.

Reply to ASP
Posted by: Jakes | 2005/11/25

ASP - I am also contractor but email etc and agreement with my project bosses allow me to do up to 14 hrs. During office hours a lot of meetings do not allow for a lot of paperwork to be done. I always only start work when the family settles in front of TV or whatever they are doing

Reply to Jakes
Posted by: Delene | 2005/11/25

I get paid for the job, not per hour. Deadline, must be finished...
They dont care much how i do it, as long as its dun.

Reply to Delene
Posted by: ASP | 2005/11/25

Hi Delene, no I don't suffer from the same... Let me tell you how it goes:

Get up at 6:30, drive on the lovely N1 to Midrand from Centurion which is only 15 km's and it takes me an hour or so, all depending..

Spend 8.5 hours in the office which is open plan so there are quite a lot of distractions here -- but I've learnt how not to be distracted by all the people walking up and down, talking, shouting to another from one corner of the office to the other etc..

The main thing is that I never take my work home, since I'm a contractor and only get paid for the actual hours I spend in the office and can only claim for a maximun of 8. My point is, if they not gonna pay for it, I'm not gonna do it. end of story.

and then just to get back into my car and take another hour or so just to get home again...

boring...

Reply to ASP
Posted by: Delene | 2005/11/25

Jakes, naah, is nice to talk to everyone.....

I usually go sleep early, early on friday evenings.....Is my night off.
Wish I could take a bus, will take allot of stress of me, the traffic drives me wacko

Reply to Delene
Posted by: Jakes | 2005/11/25

Hi delene - you posted a question to asp. hope u don't mind me chirping in.

I am fortunate to be at my desk by 6am and leave around 4pm - taking the bus which, by the way, I enjoy and saves me lots of RRRR's - to westgate. I said in a reply (11272) that I also do most of my computer work at home till late. Just do not neglect those who need attention. Between 6am and 8am I also get alot done. Yes ther are lots of advantages in flexitime. Because I work late into the night I once a week take the evening off, do my own thing and go to bed early.

Reply to Jakes
Posted by: Delene | 2005/11/25

Ryno, wont mind if its birdflue, id make sure to aim for your windshield first.

Morning Dr E.
That joke is just to hilarious for me....Stuck it on my wall here to give me an occasional giggle during the day.

Reply to Delene
Posted by: Dr.Evil | 2005/11/25

Ryno, do you even know the symptoms of bird flu??
Symptoms of the BIRD FLU...

The Center for Disease Control has released a list of
symptoms of bird flu. If you experience any of the
following, please seek medical treatment immediately:

1. High fever
2. Congestion
3. Nausea
4. Fatigue
5. Aching in the joints
6. An irresistible urge to crap on someone's windshield.

Reply to Dr.Evil
Posted by: Ryno | 2005/11/25

Mabe you've got bird flu?

Reply to Ryno