Posted by: Dave | 2008/08/14

Chapped Skin

Dear CyberDoc,

I have a somewhat embarrassing problem. Every winter my skin is a bit dry. So for about 2 to 3 weeks in the winter my foreskin cracks and tares when I have intercourse. One would imagine that lubrication would help, but it doesn’ t. This winter the problem came again, but it is now refusing to go away. Intercourse now causes pain (burning the skin) and I am now having sex about once every 2 weeks. My wife is now having strange thoughts about this as she simply doesn’ t understand the problem.
The skin heals in this 2 weeks period and looks fine. But as soon as penetration occurs the skin is pulled back and tares again. I think it is simply to thin. What can I do to solve this problem?

Hi Dave
This could be a subtle sign of a candida infection of the foreskin. Try using Canesten vaginal cream or the generic thereof for at least 2-3 weeks. Try to put on a few times per day. If your wife has any symptoms of itching or a white cheesy discharge she needs to take the same treatment at the same time otherwise you will pass the infection between the two of you. (Candida normally lives in the vagina, it sometimes can cause an overgrowth infection if the ph of the vagina changes or if the woman used antibiotics.)