Question
Posted by: Hope | 2006/04/13

changing identity document

how do i go about changing my ID number, banks and other entities will not help me because of my id number.

Expert ImageTransgender advisor

Hi there, Hope

The only way you can get your id number changed, is to change your gender at department of home affairs. The id number has a certain set of numbers, that indicate your sex. Any of the home affairs offices has got the form you need to fill out. If you go to the Gender DynamiX website, and at resources go to South African legal / law links, you can find the direct link with the specific form you need. Why I advise you to first have a look at the form, is to familiarise yourself with it, then you are better prepared. You need not to print it, and fill it out beforehand, if you don't want to, its just that you know it.

It should not cost you much more than R50 or R60, not sure of current price. If you, at the same time also want to change your name, it will cost a bit more, offhand, I am not sure of the exact amount I think that cost around R250 or R300. Also count in, the amount, if you want to add new photo's.

For the gender change (to change the id nr) you need two letters from two independant medical practitioners. That can be a surgeon, psychitrist, psychologist, endo, gp, traditional healer. The person must have consulted/treated/ worked through this with you though. According to law the above mentioned all, is been seen as medical practitioner - in reality, if they are handling it as such yet - I don't know. I would highly encourage all people who did not experience it positively, since that law changed ( March 2004) to let me know. Somebody need to challence it, if it is not handled correctly yet. I know at "branch level" the various offices from home affairs handles it correctly, I am not sure what happens with the paperwork once it reach head office. - Please let me know.

1
Posted by: gollywalk | 2006/07/10

is there any updates yet???

Reply to gollywalk