Question
Posted by: ... | 2006/07/26

change pill?

I went on the pill (marvelon) 3 years ago after about a year and a half of using it I started having breakthrough bleeding so my doctor changed it to Yasmine. This last two weeks I have been experiencing breakthrough again (I'm only due next week) Does this mean I need to change again?

I'm also not too fond of the pill because it causes a lot of water retention, cramps etc with me. I can't however go off it because 1. I'm in a sexual relationship and 2. I aparantely have a hormonal inbalance withou it (before going on the pil I probably had my period once every 6 months but very heavy which has obviously changed since I've been on the pill) What other contraception can I use which won't have as many side effects and will still manage my hormones??

Thank you for your help in this regard

Dear ...
Just give it some time - it may not be necessary to change the pill yet. Every woman gets breakthroughs now and then. If it keeps on happening you may have to tell your Gyne about it - it usually happens because the progesterone level in the second half of you cycle falls too low.
Ask your Gyne about the Mirena? It may be a better option for you.
See http://www.mirena-us.com/whatismirena.html?C=&c=